Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:42:30 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: notebook compatibility with FreeBSD

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

The critical feature for FreeBSD/XFree86 is the video chipset - if you want
X Windows.

The Dell has a Neomagic video chipset. Neomagic. according to the XFree86
project do not supply programming documents, so there is *no* X server for
the Neomagics graphics cards.

Brand          Video          Known working with FreeBSD/PAO
Toshiba        CT 65550       Yes 2.2.5 & December patches
Gateway 9000   CT 65555       ? but looks very promising
IBM            ?              ?
Compaq         ?              ?
Nec            ?              ?

You will find useful info (including a laptop survey) at

http://www.jp.freebsd.org.

Mr Hosokawa supplies the PAO patches and drivers to make FreeBSD work with
laptops.

My experience with FreeBSD 2.2.2 and 5, and the PAO patches on a Toshiba
CT720 is positive.

However the Toshibas are not nearly as good value as Gateway 9000 (the 9000
XL is only 60%, in Australia, of the cost of the comparable 760 Toshiba).
If I had the chance again I would buy the Gateway.

Thank you,

Yours sincerely,

S Hopcroft