Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:26:22 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Guolin Cheng <Guolin@alexa.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to improve FreeBSD nfs performance?  and please explain the k ernel parameters.

On Thu, 07-Dec-2000 at 20:37:50 -0800, Guolin Cheng wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
>  These days I encountered a nfs performance problem, Basically we use Intel
> machines with 512M memory, Intel Pro100M Ethernet network interfaces and HP
> switches,
> But we find that the performance is too bad:
>
>  This is the performance test,. write from nfs client to nfs server mounted
> through amd ("nfsiod -n 4" and "nfsd -t -u -n 16" are running to improve
> performance already):
>
>  nfs server:	nfs client:       		transfer speed (Mega bytes)
>
>  FreeBSD 4.1	FreeBSD 4.1  		2-4 M
>  FreeBSD 4.1	RedHat Linux 6.2	5-7 M
>  Linux 6.2	Linux 6.2		10+ M
>
> So it's really terrible, because I like FreeBSD and we install a lot of
> FreeBSD boxes. So I tried to change  nfs sync-write method, which is default
> for FreeBSD,  try to use async method,  (sysctl -w vfs.nfs.async=1 ; sysctl
> -w vfs.nfs.gatherdelay=0 ) and  test the performance again, and the
> performance is improved a lot
>
>  nfs server:	nfs client:       		transfer speed (Mega bytes)
>
>  FreeBSD 4.1	FreeBSD 4.1  		7-10 M

Well, I can't explain the sysctl parameters but I get

11426035 bytes/sec	when reading data from an NFS server
11708689 bytes/sec	when writing data to an NFS server

All machines use FreeBSD-4.2

I use Asus P2B boards with 500 - 800 MHz and Intel Etherexpress cards
connected by an Allied Telesyn switch. The only sysctl I changed was
vfs.nfs.async=1. I never had problems and lots of machines have used
this setting for a long time now.

Hth,

	-Andre