Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:52:21 -0800
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Koroush Saraf <koroush.saraf@lmco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mass Upgrade and Maintenance questions

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 09:33:34AM -0800, Koroush Saraf wrote:

> Question 1:
> I like to upgrade the software on these systems to the latest revision of
> bsd
> via a console station in the simplest way.  All computers have .rhosts file
> permitting the console computer to access them.   I have read about cvsup
> and
> portupgrade utility, but don't know if I should use them in this case.   I
> have a FreeBSD CD release that I can load in the console computer and run a
> cvsupd.  I would like to know a clear procedure on how to accomplish this
> task.  Please link me to a webpage, post a script, or refer me to any
> man pages that are applicable.

NFS?  I'd mount 4.5-RELEASE /usr/src on all these machines, make
buildworld and buildkernel, then write a script that goes to each in
turn installs both.  Maybe put the procedure in an install.sh and do
like this:

#!/bin/sh

for m in machine1 machine2 ; do
	rcmd $machine1 /usr/src/install.sh
done

> Question 2:
> How do I install additional packages to all the computers using  the console
> computer.  For example I like to add say ncftp to all 36 computers.  How do
> do that from the console computer?

pkg_add(1).

> Question 3:
> I would like to add user accounts to all these computers, however I noticed
> that I cannot simply replicated the /etc/master.passwd file & /etc/group to
> all the computers and expect it to work.  Actually I prefer to issue the
> adduser command on all the computers via remote shell.  If you think this is
> a good idea, tell me how to do this so that I can automatically fill in the
> fields for the 'adduser' prompts.  If there is a better and simpler way, I
> like to know.

That sounds like a terrible idea.  For one, adduser is interactive.  For
two, if you do start using NFS, you run the risk of everyone having
different UIDs on each machine.  Then, how does a user change their
password?  They have to do this 36 times!  YARGH!!!!

Copy /etc/master.passwd, copy /etc/group, then run pwd_mkdb(8).

Or, get clever and put your account in NIS or LDAP and tell your
computers to use these.

> Well I have more questions but I think at this point this is all I like to
> tackle.  I point out again that these computers are stand alone pc's not
> sharing any file system (AFS, NFS, etc. ) and are all connected via Ethernet
> and are all on the same subnet.

So, for 1), buildworld and kernel, then rsync /usr/src to each machine
before installing.  You can find rsync in ports.  It is the niftiest
thing ever.

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/