Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:34:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      320048919767-0001@t-online.de (Heiko Schaefer)
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Streaming MPEG..

Hi,

>  > $ mp1e generates real time pure I frame mpeg with mpeg1 audio on a 225MHz
>  > [...]

> Note that "I-frame crippled" MPEG has pretty poor
> compression/quality, compared to "real" MPEG streams
> (with I, B and P frames).
>
> Regards
>    Oliver

sure... i full agree that this solution is not the best for every case,
but it could be interesting in some realtime-encoding scenarios anyway,
(like alan wanting to watch live tv over his ethernet) where you dont mind
having this tradeoff between compression ratio and compression speed (on a
local lan you have a certain, given amount [far above what vcd has, for
example] of bandwidth). at least i want to try this out when i have some
time on my hands, it sounds fun...

Heiko