Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:57:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      15oct02@oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        drosih@rpi.edu, crist.clark@attbi.com, trish@bsdunix.net, aw1@stade.co.uk, c.scott@uk.tiscali.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some Changes to Mergemaster

Matthew Dillon:
>     Here is my current patch set (patch #3) to mergemaster.  It implements
>     the following:
>
>     (1) clears the terminal window for each presentation.

>     (2) Initial diff does not use the pager and chops it to fit on a single
> 	screen.  This fixes the problem where you would sometimes be left
> 	in the pager and sometimes not be left in the pager

What you really want to do is to use less(1) as the PAGER, add the -c
option for case (1), and possibly remove the -e option for case (2). No
need to change anything about mergemaster to achieve this.

>     Other possible improvements that could be done (not implemented in this
>     patch) include checking the file against previous CVS revs and having
>     a list of 'always replace' files, typically /etc/rc* and /etc/defaults/*
>     (for example), possibly enabled via a switch.

I would rather prefer some automatic way achieve the opposite, by having
a "never replace" list. Usually this "never replace" list would be just
the set of files that are different between /etc and /usr/src/etc (or
the /var/tmp/temproot/etc variant of the latter).

Having all other files (without proprietary modifications) upgraded
automatically (by means of a mergemaster option, of course) would speed
up mergemaster runs dramatically. Note this is different from -a which
would actually compare the source and installed versions but not replace
files without proprietary modifications but with revision updates.

Helge