Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:19:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        David Dawes <dawes@Physics.usyd.edu.au>, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loopback and multicast messed up on /etc/sysconfig ?

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Garrett A. Wollman wrote:

> <<On Thu, 14 Dec 1995 16:05:19 +1100 (EST), David Dawes <dawes@Physics.usyd.edu.au> said:
>
> > In named.boot I have:
>
> > primary    0.0.224.IN-ADDR.ARPA                         multicast.rev
>
> > and multicast.rev has the following in addition to the SOA, and NS
> > records:
>
> > 0       IN      PTR     multicast.<mydomain>.
>
> > I haven't had any problems since doing this.
>
> This is broken.  There is a real primary for 224.IN-ADDR.ARPA. (unlike
> 127.IN-ADDR.ARPA.), and there are a number of entries in that zone.

OK, if it's broken, could you suggest an alternative, please?  I have a
_private_ unconnected net, and I'd love to stop getting that startup
delay from an inability of my private nameserver to locate 224.

> -GAWollman
>
> --
> Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
> wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.
> Opinions not those of| It is a bond more powerful than absence.  We like people
> MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA| who like Shashish.  - Claude McKenzie + Florent Vollant

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;