Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:59:41 +1100 (EST)
From:      Joel Sutton <jsutton@bbcon.com.au>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [ADV] the talk about fbsd in linux and free cd's

Lanny,

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Lanny Baron wrote:

> Now Jordan, you told the guy in mail here he should go ahead and get free
> FreeBSD cd's made. Has anyone seen that Microsoft MAKES money? Not by
> giving away cdroms for sure. It makes my blood boil to see this nonsense.

Yes, Microsoft does make money. And they make a fairly average server
operating system as well.

> Jordan, and anyone here connected with The FreeBSD Project, I only want to
> see the organization succeed in all aspects.

Then perhaps you should look at why we all do this "FreeBSD thing". I
certainly won't get paid for running our user group meeting tomorrow - so
it can't be the money.

> I hope you dont burn free freebsd cdroms. It looks cheap, and people that
> WANT quality expect it to cost.

If I've got my facts straight, there's no way anyone can stop anyone else
from doing this.

> In their logical minds, it works something like this. Well, lets see,
> the system the company sells out performs others like NT and Novell
> and can keep pace with IBM AS 400's. Hmm..and its free...nah how good
> can it be? Ahh..they will be out of business and then we're stuck.

..and yet our user group (VicFUG) still keeps on growing, with a majority
of the members being businesses. A few of them do FreeBSD support too,
BTW.

> Red Hat here costs at least $60.00 NT costs about 12 or 13 hundred. I
> wonder who IS making money. I know who is NOT.

Exactly *who* would make money if FreeBSD cost 12 or 13 hundred dollars?
Every single one of its contributors?

Regards, Joel...

---
Joel Sutton                       |                Busy Bee Consulting
Phone: 0409 426-563               |               Melbourne, Australia
Email: jsutton@bbcon.com.au       |           http://www.bbcon.com.au/
VicFUG President/Webmaster        |  http://www.vicfug.au.freebsd.org/
FreeBSDzine Editor                |        http://www.freebsdzine.org/