Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:40:36 -0800
From:      Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.net>
To:        Jeremy Falcon <jeremy@intersurf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting NIC to work

If you get a supported nic, it should be found when the GENERIC kernel
loads.  You will need to edit /etc/rc.conf for IP/gateway/hostname
information to associate with the nic. Customizing the kernel will be a
matter of removing unwanted/unnecessary elements as well as adding
options which aren't included by default.

You may have heard about vi (that's "vee-aye") which is **an** editor
but your editor choice is up to you.  Anyway, the online handbook and
tutorials are an invaluable reference and much/some/most are installed
if you choose to install documentation, which I recommend.  Here's
another link:

http://www.freebSD.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

craig

--
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a
cat.