Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:21:58 +0800
From:      "Chris" <cjheinlein@cablespeed.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Please help if you can

First and foremost hello, and thank you for offering a program such as =
this for free. I have not yet installed or tried the FreeBSD platform =
(am downloading it currently), but I do have a few questions before i =
waste more cd's to install yet another possible failure of an OS (of =
course not saying FreeBSD is a failure, but I'm sure you know what I =
mean :D) I would like to know if this OS platform supports your everday =
and ever so standard .EXE applications. Basically, I am wondering if =
FreeBSD is compatible to all of the endless softwares out there that =
"require" you to be using a certain version of Microsoft Windows? I'm =
not a computer genius (though for some reason many label me as that) but =
I know my way around the Windows platform quite well. I am not an =
advanced programmer in any sort, but I do try and have several different =
types of programming software.

What I am hoping to gain out of using FreeBSD is first and foremost, rid =
of Windows for good. I have used Window for quite so many years now and =
have seen it fall more and more as more and more new versions came out. =
I'm finally fed up with it. But I'm afraid of one thing... that I won't =
have the capabilities with a Linux based OS that I did with Windows. =
Unfortunately, Microsoft is pretty much a monopoly, we all know that, =
and they pride themselves on forcing others out of business, but once =
again, there's the compatibility issue that I'm worried about.

If you could assist me in any way to my question, I would greatly =
appreciate it and try FreeBSD out immediately. I sent an inquiry about =
another Linux based OS, and recieved a reply of "we're going to be =
releasing a new version in the next few months, I'll hold on to this =
email and answer your questions upon release". I really hope I do not =
get this kind of response from you. I have read the background of the =
FreeBSD world, and greatly respect you, most of all for providing this =
for free instead of charging an arm and a leg for the OS per machine.

I read the compatibility section for hardware but really didn't see any =
of mine listed, so I'll list what I have and hopefully, if you have =
time, you can give me a yes or no. I would love you forever if you could =
do that :D.

My System:
Shuttle XPC SS56-G Barebones with Intel Socket 478
Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz (I know this is supported)
768MB PC2100 RAM
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP video card
Memorex 48-24-48 CDR/RW

The following components are all onboard the Shuttle mainboard:
Advance AC'97 sound card
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
USB and USB 2.0

That's pretty much all I use as far as hardware goes, and really the =
only things I wish to gain confirmation on being supported. I wouldn't =
think of boring you with the endless amounts of software that I use, =
cause I can figure that out on my own later. I just want to make sure =
that I can actually use the OS before I install it and possibly end up =
with time and cd's wasted. The only reason I say this is due to several =
other "free" versions of Linux based OS's.

Once again, I really do appreciate the time you have to invest on =
reading this email, and greatly appreciate any support that you can give =
to me. And thank you for providing a truely free OS that doesn't appear =
to have background fee's that will come later.

Thank a million,

Christopher Heinlein
cjheinlein@cablespeed.com
cjheinlein@comclark.com