Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:35:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOS extended partitions and "slices"

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

> >This is fully normal.  Extended partitions get mapped to extra slice
> >numbers since one extended partition can have multiple logical disks.
> >wd1s2 is the extended partition itself, which isn't that useful.
>
> But.... Waitaminnit. If you have an extended DOS partition with some
> number of logical DOS drives within it, you should REALLY see:
>
> C: wd1s1
> Extended DOS partition: wd1s2
>   D: wd1s2a
>   E: wd1s2b
>   F: wd1s2c
> Third partition (FreeBSD, Linux, whatever): wd1s3
> Fourth partition: wd1s4
>
> This would be consistent with the actual structure. The logical DOS drives
> lie WITHIN the extended partition, which is one of the four possible
> partitions, or slices.

It's a decent argument, but:

1.  There is a maximum of 8 partitions that can be defined this way (a-h).
2.  The B partition is only used for swap.
3.  Letters C and D are reserved for the slice partition and the
    whole-disk partition in BSD parlance, respectively.
4.  I bet I'd get people trying to disklabel an extended MSDOS partition.

So in the end it's confusing to the end user.  Arguably the extra-slice
system is confusing, but us old UNIX hats won't try anything silly on a
DOS partition. :)

One of the great things about open source OS's is that if you don't like
it, rewrite it. ;-)