Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:37:53 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Bagnara Stefano <bago@datasail.it>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Allways RAIDing...

Please post any followups to FreeBSD-scsi only (ie, do not
re-introduce FreeBSD-fs).  Thanks!

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 11:08:29AM +0100, Bagnara Stefano wrote:
> I cannot find a SCSI card for RAID3. AAA-131-SA from Adaptec does RAID0/1/5
> ... in RAID5 needs a minimum of 3 disks... but... with 3 disks and RAID5 if
> a disk fail the whole system die? or RAID5 can handle redundancy with only 3
> disks?

RAID5 can handle redundancy with only three disks.

> Any idea if FreeBSD support AAA-131-SA? it's not on the HW compatibility
> list... but no RAID controllers are on it....

I have no idea what the AAA-131-SA even is, from a programmers
standpoint.  I don't think we support it.

I'm running with a DPT controller, and am fairly happy with it (due to
this being a really old board, they don't have and won't produce a
workaround for a bug in my BIOS, but apart from that I've had
absolutely no problems).  I also believe these are faster than the
Adaptecs.  The FreeBSD driver is stable and actively maintained (to
the degree it need maintenance - this hasn't really been that much).

Eivind.