Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:11:16 -0700
From:      Jeff Kletsky <jeff+freebsd@wagsky.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPT fails to be recognized by BIOS boot, Intel Atom 330 D945GCLF2, 7.2-RELEASE

Jeff Kletsky wrote:
> After getting what I thought to be a good configuration built up and
> installed on, it failed to boot. I confirmed that I could build a
> MBR-based system on the same drive on the same platform
> (Intel Atom 330 on Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard, 2 GB RAM,
> BIOS LF94510J.86A.0140.2008.1231.0012, later updated to
> BIOS LF94510J.86A.0182.2008.1231.0012)
>
> [...]
>
> I've tried several different approaches, using both gpt and gpart,
> none of which seem to be able to boot the system. Bizzarely enough, if
> I do try to boot the GPT disk, with a functional, bootable MBR-based
> system
> either on the PATA or on a USB stick, that drive is also no longer
> bootable.

The problem appears to be with the MB and BIOS (consistent on three
different boards). For some set of reasonable BIOS settings, the machine
will enter a state where it will not recognize anything I've tried but a
CD/DVD as bootable (even though they boot other systems).

I've since confirmed that I can create bootable gjournal on gmirror on
GPT via gpart for AMD64.

Intel not supplying help until I use 'approved" memory (I'm using a
Corsair 2G stick that they've only tested the 1G and below versions).

http://communities.intel.com/message/25506 contains pointers to several
Intel forums issues, as well as the OCZ forums where this has been
deeply explored.