Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Nick Sayer" <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD as a vmware guist - boots like molasses

I have FreeBSD installed as a VMware guest on a Windows 2000 machine.

Up until the point where it actually boots the kernel, it is as slow as
molasses. It takes upwards of 15 minutes to get to the point where it
spits out the kernel Copyright message. Then it takes about 15 seconds to
complete the entire rest of the boot procedure (up to the login promtp).
I see another message in the archives where someone speculates that this
is Athlon related, but this machine is a Dell C810 laptop. Everything
about the boot environment is horribly slow. If I interrupt the loader and
start typing, the key repeat latency is 45 seconds or so.
Booting from CD is fast enough, however (unless I interrupt the loader and
try typing anything). Lately I have been booting the CD and using 'boot
-a' to tell it to find the filesystem on the hard disk. Of course, once
the kernel is loaded, everything is fine.
This is VMware workstation 3.0 on a Windows 2000 machine. The guest is
4.6-RELEASE.
Has anyone gotten this working any better than this?