Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 96 8:30:16 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (Hackers; FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: using ddb to debug a double-panic?

> As Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> In addition, I think I'd like to have:
>>
>> 14) Alt-D: delete word forward
>> 15) Alt-F: forward word
>> 16) Alt-B: Backward word
>
> Alt-D is ``ESC D'', right?

No, it's M-D.  You can usually simulate it with ESC-D, but it's not
the same thing.  Emacs on serial terminals used to accept a character
with bit 7 set as M-<character>, and that's what it did (I think, I'm
on thin ice here) with the ESC prefix.  Nowadays, with an X interface,
it handles things differently.

>>> The one problem is the "backspace deletes left" for terminals where
>>> the cursor left key emits "^H".  In these situations, the BS key
>>> becomes synonymous with the cursor left key and the "delete character
>>> to left of cursor" function is lost.
>>
>> I think that, under these circumstances, I'd opt for the cursor left
>> function being "lost" (i.e. only available via ^B).  Recall that we're
>> talking console only here, of course, so the difference is moot.
>
> Huh?  The console can run on a (not known to DDB) serial terminal!

Yes, I acknowledged this elsewhere.  I still think that this would be
the exception, though.

Greg