Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 12:27:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Phil Gilley <pgilley@metronet.com>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with ed driver in 2.2.5

Phil Gilley writes:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, David Greenman wrote:
>
> >    Hmmm. Not sure how to deal with this. The reason why 0WS was turned on
> > was to 'fix' a serious ISA shared-memory performance problem that a lot of
> > newer motherboards have - the 8K RAM cards are almost useless
> > without it.
>
> transfers.  When it does work I get transfer rates around 40 KB/s.
> If I disable the 0WS option in the ed driver things work fine.  Am I
> the only person experiencing this or am I just the only person still
> running old hardware?

Well, I'm going to be installing a new SMC Ultra card in my gateway box
this week (moving from Frame Relay to Wireless. :), and I know the
settings on it are correct.  It'll have an old card, and a new card but
it will be running 2.1.5.  If you can give me the patch to enable 0WS on
the 2.1.5 driver I'll enable it to see if it breaks my box with either
card, since I'll have one of the older SMC Ultra's and a brand-new SMC
Ultra in it.

Nate