Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:00:52 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Purify/Insure++

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Anyone know of something similar to the above that works under FreeBSD?
> > Or, hell, even under the Linux emulation? :(
>
> We all wish.  Keep asking Pure/Atria software for that FreeBSD port,
> folks, and maybe they'll eventually see a market and do one! ;)

	I guess this begs the question as to what they would consider a large
enough market in order to do the port?  Same for pretty much any commercial
port, how many ppl would have to commit to purchasing a copy to make it
viable for them?

	The response I got from the Insure++/Parasoft ppl was:

"There is no one that supports free bsd. There is no automatic
 error detection tool available on that platform and I don't believe
 there ever will be. There is just no market for it and those that
 have it expect to pay close to nothing for it."

	The "perception" appears to be that because we haven't gone out and paid
for our operating system, we aren't willing to spend money on quality
productivity software to compliment things...:(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org