Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 2002 19:15:13 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can no longer log into the machine :(

Desmond Lee wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I had free bsd 4.4 and was trying to update to 4.6. So, i'm following the
> instructions of my freebsd book, and got past the 'make kernel
> KERNCONF=MYKERN' command. Then rebooted the machine and then typed 'cd
> /usr/src'. Then i tried to execute 'make installworld', but it couldn't
> execute and said something was wrong with smmsp and to look in the UPDATING
> file.
>
> So i looked into the UPDATING file and looked for smmsp. It gave some
> suggestions indicating that i have to execute 'megemaster -p'. So that's
> what i did and i didn't really understand what was going on, but i tried to
> merge in differences from different files.
>
> I then rebooted, and now i can't log into my machine under root or any other
> user.
>
> Can someone please help. I'm totally lost here.

You can always change the password from single user mode. The section
in the Handbook on you have forgotten your password applies here. The
section is

10.14. I have forgotten the root password! What do I do?

Do not Panic! Simply restart the system, type boot -s at the Boot:
prompt (just -s for FreeBSD releases before 3.2) to enter Single User
mode. At the question about the shell to use, hit ENTER. You will be
dropped to a # prompt. Enter mount -u / to remount your root
filesystem read/write, then run mount -a to remount all the
filesystems. Run passwd root to change the root password then run
exit(1) to continue booting.

Then, next time you run mergemaster, don't let it touch your
master.passwd or group with out thinking about what it will do to you.
You have already seen that and once is enough :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA