Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:43:36 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Jim Freeze <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for Low-end video card

> Can someone suggest a low to moderate priced video card that works
> with XFree86 3.3.6 or 4.1.0?
>
> I am looking for an AGP card with 8-16 MB RAM and costs under
> $100.00.

I think the Matrox G400 fits your criteria; check www.pricewatch.com.
The OpenGL performance is not great, but it's good enough, and Matrox
has been pretty good about openly publishing drivers, manuals, etc.,
and I like to encourage that kind of thing.

> I have purchased two that were listed as compatable on the
> xfree86.org site, but poeple on this list have told me that they
> really are not.

If that's the case, you may consider reporting this problem to the
XFree86 people.

Lucas