Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 01:04:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The new bootloader - how do you set it up?

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Can someone give me a pointer? I'm still running an a.out kernel on a system
> > that was installed from a 3.0 snapshot CD and has been kept upto date via cvs
> > since.
>
>   make world
>
> followed by
>
>   disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 <disk>
>
> will upgrade you completely.  The visible parts of the new loader are
> in /boot/loader, and are updated by 'make world'.

Excuse me (I'm worried about doing something inordinately dumb), just to
verify, if I do that line above, after a buildworld/installworld, and
then build a new kernel with KERNFORMAT set to elf, and install it, I
should be running ok, right?  All my newly regenned lkms will keep on
humming fine, same obj files that powered the aout kernel, right?

If I get an answer here, I'll go ahead and take the next step (gulp!)

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).