Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:58:44 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: automatic log in

Dan Nelson said on Jul 31, 2000 at 12:23:14:
> In the last episode (Jul 31), Zhihui Zhang said:
> > It works now (4.0-Release). The catch is that I can not log out of it.
>
> I'm the genie that grants you exactly what you wish for, and nothing
> more.
>
> You only asked for a way to automatically log in :)
>
> What you really want is to stuff a login/password pair onto an exsting
> getty session.  I don't know if there are any programs that already do
> this, but a 20-line C program should be able to do it via /dev/snp*.

Can't one have something in the startup scripts (/etc/rc.local) to su to an
unprivileged user, and start up a shell / an X desktop? And then do
whatever you want it to do (continue with the regular login prompt? Or
shut down the machine?) after you log out? I've read of people doing
such things on a linux machine.  Unfortunately I don't have a machine
of my own to fool around with, so I can't try it out myself.

Rahul.