Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 16:45:58 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com (Perry Hutchison), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation/setup attempt not going well

On Sunday 03 March 2002 04:08 pm, Perry Hutchison wrote:
> I have installed and administered many Unix flavors -- the list is at
> the end -- but I am having the very devil of a time trying to set up
> FreeBSD 4.5.
>
> I am confident that I have done more wrong than right while installing
> from CD, but have got to the point where I can log in.  I expect to
> blow the whole thing away and start over, but would prefer to do that
> only once.  If I try to start over now, I'll surely have to throw away
> the second attempt also.
>
> 1.  I would prefer to retrieve the list of installed packages, and use
>     that list as a starting point next time, instead of wasting an hour
>     digging through the package selection menus again.  Is this possible?

Yes, do pkg_info to show installed packages/ports

> 2.  The first login prompt showed the hostname as "amnesiac" or some
>     such, and after I logged in hostname(1) produced a blank line.
>     I suppose this is related to the fact that, when I tried to set up
>     networking during install, the only choices offered were variants
>     on PPP and SLIP:  it evidently hadn't noticed the 3C509.  I hadn't
>     been able to find it in the collection of network drivers during
>     kernel configuration, either.  Am I mistaken about having seen the
>     3C509 in the supported hardware list?  (I'd actually prefer use
>     a PCI network card based on the Intel 82596 chip instead, but I
>     hadn't been able to find that chip in the supported list.)

The 3C509 is supported using the "ep" driver.

> 3.  I tried to patch things up using /stand/sysinstall, and did not get
>     very far.  The first time I tried to su, it said I wasn't in the
>     "wheel" group.  I don't recall the initial account setup, during
>     install, having suggested that.  (Fixed by logging in as root --
>     which one is not supposed to do? -- and editing /etc/group.)
>
> 4.  At this point, I could log in, su, and run /stand/sysinstall.
>     I selected Configure, then Networking, then Interfaces.  The
>     3C509 is still not listed, but there is a "faith0" identified as
>     <unknown network interface type>.  I selected that, then No to
>     IPv6 and DHCP.  Now I can finally enter a hostname, IP address,
>     etc; but even after OK there's no place to identify the driver
>     that I want it to use.  I suppose these 2 lines (from the dmesg)
>     are related; but what is the meaning of identifying the irq, then
>     claiming that there isn't one?

"Faith" is an ipv6 translator, you don't want to change any settings on that.

>     ep0: <3Com 3C509-Combo EtherLink III> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 10 on
> isa0 ep0: No irq?!

You need to disable PNP in your system's BIOS. Also check to make sure you
have enough IRQ's assigned to legasy mode. Next  there is a configure utility
available from 3Com to set up that card. You will have to boot your machine
with a DOS boot disk, Then run the 3Com utility to setup your NIC and an IRQ.
A careful look through dmesg should provide one that's not in use.

That should get you started anyway.

Beech

(SNIP)

> Finally, here's the promised list of Unix variants:
>
>     6th edition on a PDP-11; SunOS 3.5, 4.0, and 4.1; UnixWare 1 and 2;
>     Solaris 1 and 2; Red Hat Linux 6.2; OpenBSD 3.0.
>
> I may have forgotten some.

Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510