Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 18:00:40 +0200
From:      Martin Heinen <martin@sumuk.de>
To:        "Ritz, Bruno" <bruno_ritz@gmx.ch>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible millisecond - microsecond confusion

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 05:39:13PM +0200, Ritz, Bruno wrote:

> I don't agree with your patch. It would change the "microseconds" to &micro;s which is still not the same as "ms".
>
> The text says that in the first case only 370 packets/s can be processed, so it must be the milliseconds stuff (1/370 =~ 0.002702 ->
> 2.702 milliseconds)

There is nothing wrong with the units:

The first number (2.703 ms) gives the time to process a packet.
Since the example uses 1000 rules, processing one rule will take
2.703 ms / 1000 = 2.7 µs.

The theoretical limit of 370 packets per second is derived from
the first number 1000 / 2.703 = 370.

Martin

--
Marxpitn