Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:34:31 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, lev@freebsd.org
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, current@freebsd.org, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
Subject:   Re: r239356: does it mean, that synchronous dhcp and dhcplcinet with disabled devd gone?

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:53:08 am Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Garrett.
> You wrote 21 =E0=E2=E3=F3=F1=F2=E0 2012 =E3., 15:40:35:
>=20
> GC>> Try reverting r239356 -- if that works, then please let jhb@ know.
> LS>   I'm confused by  this commit, because it seems (from comment alone),
> LS> that  dhclient  will not work without devd anymore (with "synchronous
> LS> dhcp" option in rc.conf).
> LS>   Am I right?
>   And if I'm right about understanding what this change does, it is
>  POLA violation for sure. Both consequences: unable to use dhcclient
>  without devd (user will need to restart it by hands after each cable
>  unplugging event) and removing IP address from interface on cable
>  unplugging or other interface down event but before lease is expired.
>=20
>   If I'm right in understanding this commit, I vote to back it out and
>  find better solution, may be, two new options: one to remove IP and
>  one to exit on interface down. And default behavior should be OLD
>  ONE about IP address in any case and OLD ONE about exit in case when
>  dhclient isn't started by devd, but by rc scripts directly.

Humm.  devd is the more common case, and we explicitly don't use devd to st=
art=20
dhclient on boot even when devd is enabled (so out of the box dhcp would fi=
rst=20
be started by rc, but would be restarted by devd).

Another option is to rework dhclient to work like it does on OpenBSD where =
it
renews its lease if the link bounces, but to not exit when the link goes do=
wn. =20
That case would fix the currently broken case that you unplug your cable, t=
ake=20
your laptop over to another network (e.g. take it home if suspend/resume=20
works), then plug it back in and are still stuck with your old IP.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin