Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:56:33 -0700
From:      James Gorham <james@veldt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMTP Auth with Sendmail

I know this has been brought up before, but I'm still having trouble,
even after searching through the mailing list archives.

Basically I need to get SMTP auth setup with sendmail, as I roam with my
laptop quite a bit, and it's a pain to update the access db for
everywhere I go.

I've read the instructions on the sendmail site at:
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html

but it is rather sparse and not much help.

I did get cyrus-sasl installed with no problems from the ports, and
created a single password for myself using the saslpasswd utility.

Digging through the archives of this mailing list I found this:
<
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1223010+1225510+/usr/local/www/
db/text/2002/freebsd-questions/20020210.freebsd-questions >

which seemed to be the easiest way to go about getting this setup.

Adding the parts to make.conf is no problem.  However, adding the parts
to sendmail.mc confused me a bit.  I assumed that it would go in:
/usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc
which would create the proper cf file in /etc/mail.

Next is recompiling sendmail.  I assumed I could do this via the
sources, in /usr/src/contrib/sendmail.  But the Build scripts don't
exist in there, and the Makefile is broken.

Is this something that needs to be recompilied via a make buildworld? Or
should recompiling sendmail via the ports do the trick?

Running FreeBSD 4.5.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-James