Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:01:47 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.net>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please comments about SMC 9432TX [Was: Re: 100mbit full-duplex capable card]

Hi,

> So my question to you is, are you running your SMC cards at
> full-duplex? It could be that they work fine at half-duplex. Also,
> perhaps you have a newer revision of the card. I remember there was some
> discussion of a hardware bug that required a work-around in the driver
> but maybe that was fixed in a later revision. In any event, I am glad
> that you are happy with your SMC EtherPower II cards. I was not happy
> with mine and was just responding to the question asked about Fast
> Ethernet full-duplex cards.

we run them both full and half duplex in WindowsNT, Solarisx86 Linux and
mostly FreeBSD machines. FreeBSD 2.2.5 und 3.1 are the most frequent platforms.
Our servers (which is most of the freebsd machines) are connected to a hp4000
switch running full duplex.

We can ftp huge files >100mb without anything freezing up between all the
machines.  Performance seems to saturate pci bus. With short files out
of the buffer cache they even reach the 100mbit quite well. Can't remember
the figures but we tested and were happy.

We did have one problem when we got two new boards for our solaris based
checkpoint firewall and our own freebsd webserver machine.  The Freebsd 2.2.5
machines would not get a single ping over the smc etherpower ii card (tx0).
The solaris machine is fine with 3 nics. (spwr driver)

We attributed this to some peculiarities of the mainboard in question
but havfe not yet had time to look further into the problem.

In case somebody asks. The tx driver is supported starting from freebsd2.2.8
but we backpatched it to our 2.1.5, 2.2.2 and 2.2.5 machines.

Greetings
Christian

--
TopLink Internet Services GmbH			ck@171.2.195.in-addr.arpa