Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 1995 20:04:46 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BICC (C-LANCE) DE 205

In  <199512051049.LAA17872@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> , you wrote:

> Booting a 2.1.0 system I get
> [...]
> le0 not found at 0x300
> lnc0 not found at 0x280
> lnc1 at 0x300-0x30f irq 10 drq 0 on isa
> lnc1: BICC (C-LANCE) Ethernet controller, address 00:00:40:01:00:00
>

> Later I'm trying to start the interface and get
>
> lnc1: Initialisation failed
>
> This is a ASUS PCI/I P54?? board. The Lance controller is a DEC
> DE 205 Etherworks III which works fine under Win95%/NT in that
> very same box.
>
> Any clues? The ethernet address looks a bit strange, doesn't it?

The DE205 is not LANCE based, it is a DEC private chip called the LeMAC.
You must use the le driver to access it (and it obviosly didn't find it).
What are the settings being used under Windows NT?

Matt Thomas               Internet:   matt@lkg.dec.com
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    <pending>
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: Digital disavows all knowledge
                                      of this message