Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:53:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: let us restart pecefully

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

>  So the trouble is with printer.
>  Description of trouble
>  First of all,yes i have maanged to bring him so far as to
>  spit out some bytes.But on rather strange manner:i brought
>  it up with lpc up lp,previously it was not possible for me
>  to get it working with lpc start|enable all.As far as
>  understood it from man pages though,the function
>  of start|enable and up is rather identical.So
>  the question #1:
>  1)Is it a bug or a feature?What is the
>  expected way?What is the difference between
>  up and enable.

it seems 'start' will start lpd, while 'enable' will only
enable queing on the printer, it assumes you already have
lpd running.

>  Yet to statemnet about just few bytes.
>  I use apsfilter and programm claims
>  that it could handle TIFF format but i got reverse staircase
>  effect while trying to print out some man pages.So question
>  #2 is:
>  How can i handle reverse staircase effect in this particular
>  case?

This is odd, manpages aren't in TIFF format.

I think it would be great if you could provide us with your
printcap file so we can see exactly what's going on.

>  And last part is about magicfilter:Do any example files
>  exist with all this magic bytes on magic places?
>  Will magicfilter work with noPS printers?
>  What further problems can arise while installing magicfilter?

I'm sorry, i have no experiance with that program, I usually
find apsfilter to be all i need.

>  As to flame part of messages of Mrs Lehey and Perelman :))

that's Perlstein.

>  It is nothing so expecial about my messages we are all
>  equal here as well as elsewhere,save maybe the fact
>  that two troubles i had with fbsd so far  resulted from
>  1)Book of Mr Lehey(see archives for july-august)

I don't think you understand, we are trying to help you, there
are limits to what you can expect a volunteer to do,
telling us to search the archives for your message is just
asking too much.

If you refered to a url that contained your message then that
would be easy enough for anyone to look up.  The last time
I searched the archives and responded based on that you
flamed me for it, why?  I don't know, I _thought_ it was
the mail you were talking about but of course I couldn't be
sure.

>  2)Rather "misleading" i quote one guy from mailing list
>  concept of sysinstall's Upgrade.

Huh?

>  First of all i would like to say that your criticizm
>  is accepted but maybe i would react somehow faster
>  on errors caused not in last part by me.

Sure thing, would you like a soda with that?

>  As to my alleged aversion to quote no i have not such
>  kind of aversion but as already said yes i was somehow
>  irritated by this surely well-minded very general hold suggestions
>  started with the statement:"I do not remeber your problem."
>  So i hope we are over with this surely not tremendously
>  tries somehow to mend each other.

The above two numbered items are what I was complainging about
I do not know what you are talking about because you don't
provide any references to what #1 and #2 refer to.

sorry,
-Alfred