Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:58:06 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dirpref code on snapshots

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 02:30:36PM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 02:38:52PM -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > I was looking through the mailing list archives today and came
> > > across some posts that said the dirpref code changes did not make
> > > it to the snapshot server, as of 10/20/2001.  I installed some new
> > > machines with the 10/25/2001 snapshot.  Does anyone know if the
> > > dirpref code had made it into this snapshot?
> >
> > Presumably the snapshot server builds whatever code is in CVS as of
> > that date; that's how it's always worked before.
>
> It's been a little while, but I seem to remember that the CVS checkout
> had some problems for a brief time.  (Unrelated to the disk full
> condition that jkh fixed today.)
>
> Hmmm.  OK, the release notes lag the actual source code changes.
> Presuming that whatever problem affected both the source code and
> the release notes, one could check the release notes on the snapshot
> to see if they mention the new dirpref algorithm.  That should be a
> necessary (but not sufficient) condition.
>
> One could also root around the files in src/sys/ufs/ffs/* (or the
> output of "strings /kernel") and compare version numbers with the
> commit log messages in CVSweb.

Here is the URL to the message I was referring to:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=338322+340981+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-stable/20011007.freebsd-stable

I can not check the sources for the snapshot I used because I have
already cvsupped the latest STABLE sources which of course has the
correct versions of the files for the dirpref changes.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net