Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:04:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.hda.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fan speed control sony vaio lx800 slimtop

> > Would I have to do anything special to see it? If anyone has any
> > other ideas of what to do let me know - I'm wondering if throttling
> > down the CPU turns down the fan.
>
> It's possible that the EC is solely responsible for the fan, or that
> Sony decided in their infinite wisdom to do it all in a driver somewhere.

I have a new theory - do we need to enable some sort of suspend on halt
for Intel chips?  I see we do this for various cyrix chips, and I saw
in a search that pentiums with MMX have "auto halt" and "low power
on auto halt" options:

http://www-student.informatik.uni-bonn.de:8001/~petera/lpp/

Do we enable these?  I don't see any CPU_SUSP_HLT options
in initcpu.c for Intel chips.

Chip is

> CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (801.82-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x686  Stepping = 6
>   Features=0x383f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval