Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:11:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Arne "Wörner" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Ola Theander <ola.theander@otsystem.com>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Prblm: software RAID boot, FreeBSD panic.

Hi Ola!

--- Ola Theander <ola.theander@otsystem.com> wrote:
> What I tried to do is to use "atacontroller create mirror ad0
> ad1" to create

Have you tried a
  cmp /dev/ad0s1a /dev/ad1s1a
in single user mode with
  /
and
  /usr
mounted read-only?

> mirroring between the two disks. Then I installed FreeBSD 5.3
> stable as usual on ad0.

Are you sure, that writes to ad0 are automatically copied to ad1?

Maybe you should try to install to ar0?

Maybe you should do a
  dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad1 bs=256k

> Would this be the best way to configure software RAID. It seems
> like there are several different techniques for this e.g.
> vinum, atacontrol, geom,
> gmirror etc. Which one of these is the recommended one?

I like to use geom_vinum, which works quite fine, if the disk
labels are ok... :-) (if the labels are ko, vinum behaves funny.)

Bye
Arne