Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 00:49:37 +0800
From:      sweeting@tm.net.my
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help pls : "Can't find Kernel image." ? (also : freebsd and Compaq Aero 4/33 ?)

I am having problems installing FreeBSD 2.1.6 on a 486/sx33 compaq aero.
Since it uses external PCMCIA floppy drive, i have created a DOS partition
and have the entire /freebsd/bin  installation directory there.
Everything seems to go ok with the Novice installation until i get the
following error :

"can't find kernel image to link to on the root file system. you're going to
have a hard time getting the sustemt to boot from the HD, i'm afraid"

I found the following in the mailing list archive :

[snip]
Subject:   Re: Kernel image.....where is it?

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, A1C Jason T. Luttgens wrote:
> I'm not sure what's going on here...but....2.1.0 copy goes fine...no
> errors......but at the end of copying files, I get this error.....
>
> "Can't find a kernel image to link to on the root filesystem."
>
> And the system will NOT boot.......

You forgot to install the bin distribution?
The kernel isn't getting written somehow.
[/SNIP]

I certainly have copied over the bin distribution (all on floppy disks...
which is the reason i don't want to use 2.1.7 - it took ages to download
and copy all the floppies before and this is not commercial at all)

Does anyone have any idea why this may be occuring, how it can be cured
and if anyone has ever installed FreeBSD on a  486/sx33 compaq aero ?

Thank you everso much.

Chas