Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:54:55 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: somewhat new to java questions

>  > I haven't tried writing any code for Swing yet.  I got discouraged
>  > by the performance of the demos - although I was very impressed
>  > with the general appearance and style of the various widgets.
>
> In general, swing apps perform better than awt apps.

Bwah, hah, hah, hah, hah hah.

*tears running down my face*

You're joking, right?

I don't know where you get your results, but we *certainly* don't see
this with a number of very real (commercial) applications.  The most
heavily used Swing components (Dialog boxes, JPanels, JLabel, JMenus,
etc...)  extend the standard AWT components, making them 'heavier' than
the corresponding AWT components both in terms of memory and CPU use.

It wasn't always the case, but for performance and internationalization
reasons, many of the early 'light-weight' components became
heavy-weight.

This is not to say that we at SRI don't love Swing and all the features
and functionality it provides, but to say that it performs better than
AWT applications is humorous to me.

Recent JFC/Swing releases have performed *much* better than earlier
versions, but they certainly aren't faster than stock AWT versions,
mostly for the reasons outlined above.

Note, I can create toy applications that perform better, but anything
significantly complex and usable will be *much* slower using Swing.
Note however that creating these complex applications will be *MUCH*
*MUCH* *MUCH* harder to create w/out Swing, since you as a programmer
will end up re-creating much of the functionality that already exists in
the Swing toolkit (although there are many 3rd party beans that provide
many of the more useful features of Swing).

Nate

ps. We've used *every* version of Swing released publically, including
the newest JDK1.1.1-Beta release.