Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 01:10:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Anto Prijosoesilo <antop@netscape.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/10019: Bug in keyinfo and keyinit

The following reply was made to PR bin/10019; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Anto Prijosoesilo <antop@netscape.net>
To: gjp@gjp.erols.com, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: 13 Feb 99 16:02:21 ICT

 gjp@gjp.erols.com wrote:
 > Give them individual accounts, and use a modified sudo (as found in ports)

 > let them use their own passwords to get to the role account.

 Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably go this route in the future.

 I think the point I was trying to make was valid though. If the system asks me
 for user1's S/Key password when I login as user1 and user2's when I do user2
 then I would expect the other related utilities to behave similarly. It they
 don't whether the "different" behavior is documented, I would assume that
 there's a bug.. right?. Especially when there's an easy fix to make them
 consistent.

 As long as there is this inconsistency I would view it as a bug. Changing the
 S/Key database to use uid instead of login names would make it consistent as
 far as S/Key is concerned.

 That would, however, break compatibility with regular UNIX authentication
 where each login name has its own password that isn't shared with others even
 those sharing the same UID.

 It would also break compatibility with OPIE.

 If you think this PR should be closed, please do. I'll keep my local changes
 because I like my system to be consistent.