Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:45:30 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: exec() doesn't update access time

"David E. Cross" wrote:
> I noticed that exec(2) does not update the last access time of a file...
> is this intentional?

POSIX only mandates updates of time fields in very specific
cirumstances: when using particular API's.

So if you use a different or unexpected API, an update is
not required.

For example, I had an FS that allowed you to read both
directory entry and stat information simultaneously from
a directoy, and did globbing in the kernel.  Since it was
neither "getdireentries" nor "read", I didn't have to do
the update that would otherwise have been required.

In the exec case, we are talking something very like mmap,
where the kernel never gets notification if the read, in
any case: it is only when you use an accessor or mutator
function, like read or write, where the operation can be
hooked, because it is procedural, that an update can even
be forced to occur, under any circumstances.  Data interfaces
are effectively immune from such monitoring.

-- Terry