Date:      Sat, 09 Mar 2002 21:00:13
From:      "Arthur Drake" <arthurdrake@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble connecting to a natd machine from within the network

Hello!  I have a FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE machine running natd for the rest of the
network.  It runs the command "natd -f /etc/natd.conf -i vx0" on startup.
/etc/natd.conf has only one commented out line, so it essentially has
nothing in it.  Natd translates from the vx0 public interface to the vx1
private interface on 192.168.0.1.  Both interfaces use a 3Com 595 card.

Machines outside the network have no trouble connecting to the FBSD box, but
from within the network on all ports the connection takes a very long time
to start, and many programs (ftp clients, mail clients, etc.) time out
waiting to connect.  It takes several minutes to start an ssh or ftp
session.  Once I get connected it runs just fine, but it takes forever to
connect.  This happens regardless of whether I connect to the private side
(192.168.0.1) or the public side (68.x.x.x) from within the network.

Anybody have any ideas?  I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Art