Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 11:18:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, toor@dyson.iquest.net, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A question for the VM gurus..!

> > > Hmmm...  time to implement kernel threads.
> >
> > actually, sunos had async. read-ahead from 1988 on, long before kernel
> > threads. They just queued an i/o and did not wait for the result. So you
> > don't absolutely have to have kernel threads.
> >
> We used to have async readahead in the VM system (vnode_pager.)  It was a bit
> tricky, and kernel threads might make it simpler.  Maybe not?

A kernel thread scheduled against a "work to do" queue would seem to
be the correct way to handle async.

But async wants to be more general than a simple implementation; it
wants to be enough to implement async calls at user level.

Rather than special casing the code in the read/write path to enable
the aioread/aiowrite/aiowait/aiocancel, I'd like to see an alternate
trap gate for async calls... much better for LWP support.

So I guess the same changes needed for kernel multithreading would
be needed regardless....

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---