Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:23:25 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/32676: file(1) formatting nit

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 12:21:21PM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> >  >
> >  Starting lines with a space is bogus, and causes groff(1)
> >  to stop formatting the current line.  There's nothing wrong
> >  with some text running of a right margin; manpages display
> >  "literal" text exactly as it is shown by a program, and the
> >  output of man(1) could be controlled by a pager utility
> >  like more(1) or less(1).
>
> There IS something wrong: pager utilities can't know where the
> left margin is (without some AI code) with resulting ugly and
> hard-to-read line wrapping and occasional trunctation of text
> (as I observe in XEmacs's man file(1) with a 80-column X window).

Output width information is hard-coded into mdoc(7) and constitues
78 characters for nroff(1) and 6.5 inches for troff(1).

> Man pages should have a convention to represent the end(s) of
> wrapped literal lines.  Something like "[\]" or "[NL]" or "[wrap]" at
> the end or "[+]" or "[cont]" at the beginning.  I've always preferred
> the beginning (ala FORTRAN), but on Unix the end is more common.
>
> But there's not enough literal stuff in man pages to spend much time
> worrying about it.

I'll look into making literal displays still wrap their lines.
Interesting, how many manpages will break.  Will see...

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,