Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 11:08:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_2_2

> > . Urge Thomas to have the actual problem fixed (maybe by consultants)
> >   instead of being hacked up.  I understand his desire to not spend
> >   much money into code that's not even his own, but as it seems, there
> >   are quite a number of FreeBSD hackers here who are capable and
> >   interested in fixing this problem, and willing to work as a consultant
> >   to XiG.  Maybe he could sell his fix to the OSF then. :-/

[ ... ]

> I don't like Thomas' position in this case, it's basically, "dtmail is
> too complex to understand quickly and it would cost me money to get it
> analysed and fixed so if you want to support CDE change your OS". My
> inclination is, "no thanks".

So change the OS, and then change it back once CDE ships.  CDE is a
hell of a lot more than dtmail.  I'd have no compunctions against
pretending to cave to bogus demands to get CDE, and then reversing
the cave once I got it.

Thomas should be aware that if the change he wants is made, it will
be undone almost as soon as he ships because Thats The Right Thing
To Do.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---