Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:56:48 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5R Vat with SB16?

Some success! I was using 2.1.5R sound distribution; more below.

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:37:51 -0700
Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> wrote:

hasty> Then just read the docs for the card thats probably the surest way
hasty> of finding out what you have . And maybe someone who knows the SB16
hasty> cards could step in .

The SB16 docs say the default is IRQ 5.

Unfortunately, that's also where my Ethernet card is (ed1), and
neither have jumpers :-( Any ideas, anyone? I do have "conflicts" in
the kernel config -- see below.

hasty> /dev/audio is a mu-law device and /dev/dsp is an unsigned audio device.
hasty> if you cat foo.au >/dev/dsp you will hear garbage.

Ah, OK. Just tried and it worked -- with the kernel compiled against
the original 2.1.5R sound directory, after modifying the kernel
config and the isa/sound/sound_config.h to match.

Here's the relevant part of my kernel config, then the diffs for
sound_config.h, for anyone else who wants to give this a go on their
SB...

--

# snd: Voxware sound support code
# sb: SoundBlaster PCM - SoundBlaster, SB Pro, SB16, ProAudioSpectrum
# sbxvi: SoundBlaster 16
#
# Beware!  The addresses specified below are also hard-coded in
# i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h.  If you change the values here, you
# must also change the values in the include file.
#
# If you don't have a lpt0 device at IRQ 7, you can remove the
# ``conflicts'' specification in the appropriate device entries below.
#
# The i386/isa/sound/sound.doc has more information.
#
# LINT says:
#device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
#device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
#device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
#device uart0 at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 vector "m6850intr"

#Probing problems:  Since the SB16 uses the same IRQ and addresses for
#the different drivers, some of the snd dirvers will not be probed because
#the kernel thinks there is a conflict.  This can be worked-around by
#setting the ALLOW_CONFLICT_IOADDR or ALLOW_CONFLICT_IRQ options.

# SB16 document defaults:       i/o     irq     dmaLow  dmaHigh
# - audio                       220h    5       1       5
# - mpu-401 UART                330h

# IRQ 5 conflicts with ed1, which I am using!

controller      snd0    # Controls all sound devices

device sb0      at isa? port 0x220      irq 5 conflicts drq 1   vector sbintr
device sbxvi0   at isa?                                 drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

--

*** sound_config.h      1996/07/31 17:15:14     1.1
--- sound_config.h      1996/07/31 17:22:25

  #ifndef SBC_IRQ
! #define SBC_IRQ               7       /* IQR7 is the factory default.  */
  #endif

  #ifndef SBC_DMA
--- 83,89 ----
  #endif

  #ifndef SBC_IRQ
! #define SBC_IRQ               5       /* [sb16: irq5] IQR7 is the factory default */
  #endif

  #ifndef SBC_DMA
***************
*** 91,101 ****
  #endif

  #ifndef SB16_DMA
! #define SB16_DMA      6
  #endif

  #ifndef SB16MIDI_BASE
! #define SB16MIDI_BASE 0x300
  #endif

  #ifndef PAS_BASE
--- 91,101 ----
  #endif

  #ifndef SB16_DMA
! #define SB16_DMA      5       /* for what? sb16 dmaHi=5, Lo=1 */
  #endif

  #ifndef SB16MIDI_BASE
! #define SB16MIDI_BASE 0x330   /* SB16 MPU-401 midi uart */
  #endif

  #ifndef PAS_BASE