Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:14:54 +0000
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian John <brianjohn@fusemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installed new kernel and then make buildworld and now no internet?

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 10:11:59AM -0600, Brian John wrote:
> Erik Trulsson wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 02:40:26AM -0600, Brian John wrote:
> >

> >>Hello.
> >>I just added a couple of config attributes to my make.conf, namely this
> >>(I think this is close):
> >>CPU-TYPE = athlon-xp
> >>CFLAGS = -0 -pipe
> >>COPTFLAGS = -0 -pipe
> >>

> >That should be '-O', not '-0'.  (And it should be 'CPUTYPE', not
> >'CPU-TYPE'.
> >

> I was just pulling this from memory.  I double-checked and it was done
> the way you said.  Another thing that is weird, on startup it takes
> sendmail about 1 minute to start.  What could cause this to happen?

Timeout waiting to perform DNS resolution.

It sounds to me like you've still done something wrong in the upgrade
procedure and have been left with a nonfunctional packet filter (this
can happen when you have a mismatch between your kernel and world,
caused by upgrading out-of-order).

To fix this you should either tell us precisely what steps you
followed in the upgrade procedure so we can try and help your recover,
or have another go at it yourself making doubly sure not to do things
out of order or omit steps.

Kris