Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 19:27:52 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
Cc:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Selectively forbidding login

On 2002-03-08 18:18, Steve Tremblett wrote:
> I believe a user will be allowed FTP login if their shell is in
> /etc/shells.  I'm not %100 sure on what nologin does (not on a FreeBSD
> box right now), but I'm guessing that if it is a shell that is made up
> of something like "int main() { return 0; }" it should be safe to put
> in /etc/shells.

It's very easy to find out:

	hades:~$ file /sbin/nologin
	/sbin/nologin: Bourne shell script text executable
	hades:~$ grep -v '^#' /sbin/nologin

	echo 'This account is currently not available.'
	exit 1

But even if it wasn't a shell script, you can read the source at
/usr/src/sbin/nologin.  The wonders of Open Source :)))

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/