Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 19:16:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        lyndon@orthanc.com (Lyndon Nerenberg)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is the documentation for ibcs2?

> Well, going by your argument the man page for cc(1) should also document
> the programming language and libraries, n'est ce pas? Should we also
> incorporate a copy of Stevens in tcp(4)?

Hardly.  My argument doesn't affect tcp(4), which documents socket().

If IBCS2 added a function, I'd agree.  It doesn't.  It adds nothing
visibile to the user.

> The man page should document the fact the iBCS2 support exists,
> give three short examples of how to enable the support (compile into
> kernel, invoke from sysconfig, load from command line), refer the
> reader to the non-existent handbook section describing all the ugly
> details of the implementation, and include a warning that the code
> is preliminary and shouldn't be used unless you're willing to do some
> digging into the source code.

By this argument, tcp(4) should document how to take TCP out of the
kernel.  It doesn't.  8-).

> Call the manpage ibcs2(8) and create a link called sco(4) (or maybe sco(5)?).
> This makes the two obvious targets for apropos work, and let's people
> discover fairly easily that SCO support does exist, while making no
> bones about the fact that its use is not for the timid.

Feel free to implement this if you think it's a worthwhile effort.  I
personally think that given the amount of traffic on this lowly topic,
the next install will handle optioning it in and out as modules and it
will be documented there.  Problem solved.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.