Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:54:29 +0300
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
To:        Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc:        Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] re(4) problems on networks with disabled autonegotiation "solver" (WAS: Juniper e3k with ports limitied to...) -- REQUEST FOR REVIEW

Hello, Marius.
You wrote 13 =FF=ED=E2=E0=F0=FF 2011 =E3., 1:59:07:

> Note that even the RealTek supplied driver always triggers an
> auto-negotiation when manually setting the media though. However,
> at the same time it also comes with tons of uncommented PHY fix-up
> code which might be relevant for this or the previous issue.
   One think I'm sure, that "mii-tool" on Linux helps now, and
"ifconfig media / mediaopt" doesn't (without this patch & turned on
option), so it seems, that Linux turn autonegotiation off when media
is set manually.
  And, yes, without manual setting media (with autonegatiotion) Linux
has same problem -- half/full duplex mismatch.

> Unfortunately, I didn't get to checking whether the MAC versions
> in question are amongst the ones that get patched so far.
> In any case I don't think we can easily change this (default)
> behavior after such a relatively long time as it would break POLA
> for an unknown number of users, even if it probably shouldn't have
> been made the default in the first place (but again on the other
   It is why I do option in such way, that old users, for whom
current implementation works, doesn't notice any difference -- rgephy
works exactly the same way as usual untill you set option.

  And, yes, I think, that additional media option will be better, but
it looks like major feature and not small patch :)

--=20
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>