Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:26:20 -0800
From:      Hub- FreeBSD <freebsd@hub.org>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPS FreeBSD Hosting

For those looking for non-US based servers, we (http://hub.org) have =
been proudly offering FreeBSD since '95 =85

On 2012-11-26, at 2:18 AM, Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org> wrote:

> On 11/25/12 22:07, Michael Sierchio wrote:
>> Top-posting for brevity.  I use EC2.  You can start with Colin
>> Percival's HVM instances - I run a Xen kernel using a modified =
version
>> of his original scheme - which is to have a 1GB Linux partition
>> running grub to boot from a FreeBSD disk.  I'm happy to share an AMI
>> with you, but you should try Colin's stuff.
>>=20
>> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net> =
wrote:
>>> I gave up maintaining my own hardware for providing cloud computing
>>> services about 10 years ago and have been using several dedicated =
server
>>> services with root-access FreeBSD since about 6.0. with good =
results. At
>>> the time VPS looked like too many problems.
>=20
> FreeBSD is now officially supported by Amazon (but still supplied by =
Colin) as well as Colin's "defenestrated" FreeBSD AMIs.
>=20
> =
http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2012/11/aws-marketplace-additional-operating-sy=
stem-support.html
>=20
> =
https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00AA25MLK/ref=3Dsp_mpg_product_titl=
e?ie=3DUTF8&sr=3D0-2
>=20
> However, these are only on the new 3rd generation of EC2 instances, =
which are heavy duty systems. For many uses micro instances are enough, =
but you still have to pay the "Windows tax" on those. I don't know =
whether Colin is working to change that, or if there are technical =
reasons why it's impossible.