Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:35:33 +0100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_M=E5rtensson?= <Spammer@ebox.tninet.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux - FreeBSD

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 12:48:33PM +0100, Björn Mårtensson wrote:
> Are the commands the same or are they more like the Unix-commands ?

The "user" commands will feel the same, besides of some options
you might miss, or suddenly appear. For "admin" commands it will
be a little different (user-editing, security and so on), but if
you read the handbook (or keep it close to you) you will find your
most questions in there.

> And all the programs I've got for Linux (Slackware) can I just
> recompile them in FreeBSD and get them to work properly there too ?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

There is a chance they recompile without problem, this is normal
for the general unix-programs. There is a chance you need to tweak
some paths in makefiles (/usr/local/lib instead of /usr/lib), this
is due to the difference in approach on how the layout of the
filesystem should be for non-base programs. And there is a chance
that you won't get it compiled at all, because it uses linux-specific
things (#include <linux/*>). As you see, YMMV. But don't forget in
this that the binary programs might work easily without a recompile
under the Linux-(not emulation but it had a different name)-mode.

Enjoy!
Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis   |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions:
mavetju@chello.nl |                     http://fataldimensions.nl.eu.org/