Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:46:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
Cc:        cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov, gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD lounge...

> // the way i use it is not to run a tunnel across the modem line (which
> // btw is not easy to set up unless you have an ethernet interface on
> // your machine at home -- mrouted refuses to start when you have a
> // single interface), but rather using a gateway program like my
>
> Answering a little late, because I wanted to test before talking.
>
> I'm right now connect through a modem, and I have a MBone tunnel
> established.  And I'm pretty sure I don't have an ethernet card.  :)
>
> Here's some output from my home machine:
>
> /etc/mrouted.conf:
> tunnel  200.156.1.11 146.164.63.4    metric 1  threshold 8  rate_limit 25

ok, now (after some more hacking) I know why it did not work for me.
The ppp server has the ethernet on a /24 net and the ppp address
assigned to my machine is also within the same /24 net. ppp works fine,
(provided i turn arp proxy on for the ppp address), but mrouted ignores
interfaces with potentially conflicting addresses as in my case. I can
make things work by making the tests in mrouted less restrictive but
Bill Fenner claims that there are reasons for that restriction and i
trust his word.

	cheers
	luigi