Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:01:59 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of the union, 1999.

> <soapbox>
> With the release of FreeBSD 3.0, FreeBSD utterly blew the _official_
> evangelism end of it.   There was this great new product with wonderful
> features in it (CAM, SMP, and all the rest), and ... I didn't see squat about
> it in the trade papers.

3.0 was not meant to be evangelised.  Read the release materials.

> Someone at the online end of either CMP publications or IDG (I forget which)
> was actively looking for an official FreeBSD mouthpiece the week after 3.0
> came out, and they couldn't find anyone.  Nada.

Then they sure as hell didn't try very hard.  I was at my desk every
day; everyone at WC knows where I am, and there are several other people
around that could talk about it if pressed.  As the CDROM publisher,
our phone numbers are printed on the CDROMs and contact information is
to be found in the release documentation.

Yes, we have a crap marketting organisation.  Unfortunately, hackers
make terrible publicists.  Until we can raise the money to pay some
people to do this well, we're kinda stuck here.