Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 12:53:26 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH protocol 1.6 proposal

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 03:09:23PM +0800, Michael Robinson wrote:

> A lot of very smart people worked long and hard on IPSEC.  It's an open,
> interoperable standard.  It's simple to implement and understand.  It is
> (I've been led to understand) well-analyzed and theoretically robust.
> It works.
>
> And, significantly, FreeBSD still doesn't have a documented, user-friendly,
> fully-featured implementation.

That may be true, but work is progressing at a pace in 4.X to add this
functionality for the 4.0 release.  It won't be long now.  On the other
hand even with the completed I'm still not going to be able to connect
to a FreeBSD box from a Windows box, for example, because one of them
lacks the IPSEC code.

Ssh has been, and will continue to be, a a great stop-gap solution.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser	FreeBSD: Take the red pill and we'll show you just how
Technical Manager	deep the rabbit hole goes. (http://www.uk.freebsd.org)