Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:43:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Gordon@xmission.xmission.com, Wang@xmission.xmission.com, <guelph@tpts5.seed.net.tw>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Gordon Wang wrote:
% I am a FreeBSD 2.2.1 user.
% When I run the x-window I also start some application programs which
% should appear as icons as I set in the file--.xinitrc .
% But these icons all locate in the upper right corner of the X-windows.
% They overlap each other.
% What should I do to put these icons in other positions when I
% start x-window.
% I use twm.

Doug White replied:
> Use a different window manager, such as fvwm.  They are much more
> configurable than the standard twm.  You can adjust the window focus
> policy, icon and window placement, colors, and much more.

Or, if you don't want to eat your entire system just to run fvwm,
just learn how to configure twm.  One of the nicest ways to customize
twm is to enable the 'Icon Manager' and set windows to iconify by
unmapping.  This will give you a small 'application dock' where your
applications will be iconified, and when you iconify the window, it
will disappear from the main display.

If you don't have a .twmrc file in your home directory, you can
create one with:

	cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/twm/system.twmrc $HOME/.twmrc

Now, to set the window behavior as above, add the following near the
top of your .twmrc file:

	IconManagerShow
	IconifyByUnmapping

If you want to specify the size and location of your IconManager,
see the IconManagerGeometry resource in the twm man page.

Twm is actually quite a powerful window manager.  It's cousin, ctwm,
gives you (up to 32) workspaces in which to separate your windows;
it's like the Visual User Environment that comes in CDE, but quite a
bit less memory intensive.  I've used ctwm for years now, and prefer
it to any other.  I setup four workspaces and switch back and forth
between them with a workspace manager window, and with Alt-F1 through
Alt-F4 keystrokes.