Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:10:03 +0800 (GMT)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: green threads vs. native threads ...

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:
>> Would it be a moot point to ask for the FreeBSD kernel to support native
>> threads?
>
>Sure.  Patches to implement them are gladly accepted.  Oh, you mean
>forcing someone to implement threads in FreeBSD?  Naw, that's not the
>way it's done.  New features get done because someone thems to be done
>and does them.

That's one way of looking at it.  Here's another way of looking at it:

 "A good example of keeping sight of the larger picture is FreeBSD's
  attitude towards its Linux emulation. It's not only very important to
  us that FreeBSD continues to run Linux binaries effectively, it's also
  what we suggest to those ISVs who are coming back somewhat cautiously
  to this "new" Unix market and obviously want to maximize their gains
  while minimizing risk. We tell them to port to Linux and not FreeBSD,
  even though we'd certainly love to have native binaries for anything
  and everything, and, by telling them to port to Linux first (or at
  all), we are giving them the best advice on how to get access to the
  widest possible segment of the free software market, one which includes
  but is not limited to us."

	-Jordan Hubbard ( http://editorials.freshmeat.net/jordan980713/ )

As I mentioned in the part you cut out, Linux emulation is increasingly
broken in FreeBSD as more software comes to rely on Linux native threads.
If it is, in fact, "very important to us that FreeBSD continues to run
Linux binaries effectively" (whoever "us" is), I would recommend to "us"
that cooperating on a native threads solution be given a higher priority.

Otherwise, FreeBSD will *not* be part of the free software market that
developers get access to when they follow Jordan's advice.

	-Michael Robinson